Sunday, October 17, 2010

Appreciation - The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe

Besides our favorite things and what we liked to do, there was one thing that set me apart from most of my friends. It wasn't my culture, my religion, or anything of that sort. It was one thing that even I didn't realize until a week or two ago. It was the fact that I had never really read any "childhood books" in my childhood.

I remember reading Charlotte's Web when I was little. I remember skimming through A Wrinkle in Time, and hating it. I also remember the new copies of the whole Chronicles of Narnia that my aunt gave me when I was about 6 or 7 years old. I sat in my room and read The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe when the sunlight dripped, and leaked through my windows in the afternoon. I sat and read on the cold, blue tile bathroom floor and closed the door, when I didn't want anyone to disturb my reading. And after I had read just The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, I gave the whole Chronicles of Narnia away.
Why? I don't actually remember. I just gave them away without a second thought.
But now? I wouldn't give up my book filled with The Chronicles of Narnia for a million dollars. (Ok, I would, but you get what I'm trying to say).
Although I didn't realize it when I was younger, the whole entire Chronicles of Narnia are filled with magic, and The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe especially.
The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe is one of the most well known books by C.S. Lewis.
It contains hope, joy, sadness, loneliness, and, finally, the magic that has the power to
transport you and make you feel like you're in Narnia with Lucy, Edmund, Peter, and Susan.
The whole entire book, you have the "Don't look into the closet! Don't look into the closet!" kind of feeling like when your watching a scary movie. C.S. Lewis keeps you on your toes, alert and aware, but at the same time dreamy and isolated as you imagine yourself in Narnia.
How does he do this? Description. Sentence length. Adjectives and words that evoke feelings. Not only does C.S. Lewis use these things, but most writers do too, and these things are what make a story come alive in front of the readers eyes. These things make something 2-D, like words on a piece of paper, turn 3-D like a colorful pop-up book. You can visualize the story in your mind and relate to it through your own life and experiences.
Obviously, C.S. Lewis did a good job: there are multiple editions of The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe, a movie, and even more Chronicles of Narnia books that I'm reading now that I know how great the books are.

One of my good friends once told me: "Always try new things. You never know what you might find." Now, I can never say that that wasn't true.

No comments:

Post a Comment